8 Chocking Safety Tips to Avoid a Rig Rolling Disaster
A rolling rig can cause significant property damage—and worse—death. In fact, drivers have been crushed when their own rigs have rolled away from docks. Forklift drivers have suffered injuries after their machines fall between dock edges and moving trailers. And trucks have overturned due to improperly secured cargo. But these are preventable scenarios. Chocks—when properly used—can keep a semi from rolling or flipping. So, if you’re driving a rig, keep them handy and follow these chocking safety tips.
2. Chock the wheels of a truck or trailer at a dock before starting any operation.
3. Before entering a trailer, lift drivers should always ensure its wheels are chocked and the floor can support a forklift. That’s a basic rule of chocking safety.
4. When loading or unloading at a dock, chock the wheels closest to the platform, especially on tandem-axle trailers. A forklift will exert downward force when entering a trailer that pins the wheels more effectively against chocks in that position. However, if you chock the front axle instead, the lift’s forward motion could loosen the chocks and allow the trailer to move.
5. Block the freight inside a trailer to keep it in place. Also, use equipment such as load bars and straps and vertical supports to secure your cargo, so it doesn’t shift during transit, causing damage or overturning the trailer. Always observe proper cargo safety procedures.
6. Keep the correct chocking safety equipment at hand. Every dock should have chocks available for drivers needing to secure their wheels and freight. It’s best to chain these tools to the docks and store them out of high-traffic areas to prevent theft.
7. Chock a rig’s wheels when performing maintenance or parking the vehicle for an extended period.
8. If you’re chocking a free-standing rig, place the equipment on the rear-axle tires and chock the front and back of each wheel.
Bobtail Insurance Group has years of experience helping individuals purchase the right coverage for their needs. The experts standing by will not only find you excellent coverage options, but they will find it for you at the best price! Physical damage insurance is something you may think you don’t need, but to be fully protected, it is certainly something to consider. Contact BIG at 1-833-4-RIG-INS for more information!